While it may be impossible to choose just one "best" vintage set, for the sake of argument, I am going to state my top 5 reasons for why '57 Topps is the crown jewel.

1. Real life color photography taken of players in various "game-day" warm up routines before the first pitch. Fielding a ground ball, swabbing pine tar on the bat, laying down a bunt, it's all there.
2. A checklist loaded with stars and rookie cards, including over 10 major rookie cards, notably Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Bobby Richardson and many more. In contrast, the '59 set has very few (with the exception of Bob Gibson).
3. Simple yet crisp design. White border with player or team name in yellow does not distract the eye from the main course.
4. Awesome player combo cards and other specialty cards . While this has been done before, the Mickey/Yogi Power Hitters is a classic gem and don't forget about the Dodgers slugger cards. Likewise, there is a Lucky Penny Card, Contest Cards, and a Gene "Bakep" Baker error card which make this set so unique, and by extension difficult, to obtain in its entirety.
5. The modern day card size was established/standardized by this set, thus eliminating all the awkward and random sizes, such as those tiny Bowman ones.

Well, there you go. Agree? Disagree? Look forward to the debate!

Views: 10

Replies to This Discussion

The 1957 Topps set was the third complete set I was able to complete.( I was only 10 or 11 when I completed them and of course the ole story of having them through out while in the service hit my collection too). I did like this set, but my favorite set was the 1952 Topps set. I have been trying to complete it for years and being retired, this will never happen. When we were Kids, everyone liked the 1955 Bowman, with the color TV sets. Only the rich had a color TV, so this was exciting to have our cards on color TV. (this was my first complete set.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Rich Mueller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service